Edmonton Forest School Society is looking for passionate, self-motivated, nature-loving part-time educators to join our team for the 2021/2022 school year. We are looking for 1-2 educators to work under the direction of our lead forest school educators, organizing and implementing child led play-based forest school programs. The forest school educator will be responsible for co-facilitating the following programs alongside another forest school educator.
- Mondays from 9-4:30 for 3-5 years olds
- Fridays from 9-3:30 for 5-10 year olds
- Saturdays from 9-12:30 5-10 year olds
EFSS is a child led, place based program where children can build a meaningful connection with the land. Our programs operate out of Gold Bar Park and are completed outdoors in all weather conditions.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Education, Early Childhood Education or experience commensurate with those.
- Clear criminal record check
- Clear vulnerable sector check
- Valid/Current First Aid
- Must be physically fit, able to dig, climb, hike and carry supplies
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Forest Practitioner Certification (an asset)
- Experience working with children ages 3+ in an outdoor nature-based program
Role and Responsibilities:
The Program Educator is responsible for assisting the Lead Education to ensure successful delivery of EFSS programs. Specific responsibilities of the Program Educator include:
- Collaborate with the lead education to plan and deliver dynamic Forest School programs (play-based, all-weather, all-outdoor programs)
- Prepare learning materials and spaces;
- Maintain program tools and equipment;
- Support the development and maintenance of risk assessments for Forest School activities;
- Supervise children participating in the Forest School programs at all times;
- Ensure the safety of all children including, but not limited to, forest play, hiking, climbing trees or while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams and other terrain;
- Comply with all AHS health and safety guidance for outdoor preschools;
- Promote and comply with all policies set out in the Parent Handbook;
- Attend and participate in monthly educator professional development;
- Market and promote EFSS programs;
- Make recommendations for EFSS programming;
- Share ideas and insights on program improvement; and
- Carry out other duties as required by the Lead Educator and EFSS Board.
If you are excited about working with children outdoors in all weather conditions from September until June please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com and indicate the days you are applying for.